Sunday 1 April 2012

iPad 3 Review

I don't usually use my blog as a tool for promoting anything other than myself, but to be fair, it isnt very often that I find a product that I actually get THAT excited about. I recently sold my 4 month old iPad2 in order to get the new iPad3.  While I was happy with the previous model, I thought it would be best to upgrade while I had the chance. Please note that I am a total technophobe most of the time, so none of this will be very technical and all of this post is my own opinions and views.


Key Features                                                      
  • 9.7in, 2,048 x 1,536 Retina Display 
  • Apple A5X dual-core CPU
  • 16-64GB storage
  • 30-pin dock connector
  • Bluetooth 4 and Optional 4G



On first impressions, the two models look exactly the same. I think there is actually less than a millimeter of difference in size. Im sure this is deliberate. There are no external markings to determine which model you have, and it is only in use that this becomes clear. The new model is faster, and seems to be more receptive to the touch screen technology. Not that there was any problem with the previous model....

As a creative person, I like to appreciate everything in as much detail as possible. If you look at the history of Apple, you will notice that the Macintosh computer was the first to be used for design and display. As technology has advanced, they have remained at the forefront for the creative industries.
I simply cant go back to using a PC from a mac, just as i cant go back to an ipad 2 now that my eyes have become accustomed to the clarity of images and text on the new iPad.
 

The capacity to zoom in on pages and websites without the pixelation of the text is more a novelty than a neccessity, but it is nice to have as an option. It is almost as though all of the display fonts have been transformed into vectors.
 
As well as a better display, the new iPad also sports better quality cameras, both back and front. However, at 5MP they remain to be fuzzy,  and considering the price, I think thats a bit cheeky. The built in photobooth app does have more choices for effects to add to your photos, including a kaleidoscope view. Many other apps have been upgraded to work better on the new iPad, however most app developers have been slow in updating their software, so some of the apps that I used on the iPad2 haven't crossed over too well, although they still work.

It also comes with automatic built in iCloud technology which allows storage of data on the iCloud server, ready to use whenever you like. Until now, I believed this to be something I had to pay for, so was thrilled to discover it sitting happily on my new iPad. It allowed me to easily link up and take all of the required apps from the iCloud. This means that I can install and uninstall whenever required to free up space as I'll always have access to them as long as i have a wi-fi connection.

The battery life is fairly impressive. When not in constant use, I managed to get about 3 days out of it. And when in constant use, i have managed to get about a day out of it. Not bad when compared to some laptops I've had that have lasted less than 5 hours.

One minor disappointment is that the home button has not been removed. This is the bain of my life when trying to play a game which involves turning or rotating the device, as I often accidentally push on the button, ending my game. I know there are more important things to think about in life, but it is irritating!!    

All in all I feel that the new iPad is definately an improvement on its predecessor. As always with Apple, evolution has been a beautiful thing. I'm glad that there has been no alterations to the outer design. If it's not broke, don't fix it!

If you think i have left anything out, or you want me to try something for you, leave a comment.


                   

No comments:

Post a Comment