Monday, 14 September 2015

DIY Tattooed Heart Wall Hanging


So I have slowly been utilising my craft room and actually creating some cool little pieces for my home. I'm sure by now, you can gather the theme, but I am currently working on some items for my hallway. Overall, I want there to be lots of different art, wall hangings and curiosities relating to tattoos. Obviously, being me, I want to try and get my look for a good price!

This little tattooed heart wall hanging was fairly quick to create, didn't take too many materials and looks quite professional, even if I do say so myself. I'd say the total cost is probably £2, and that is an overestimate!

Remember, if you would like to make something similar, you don't necessarily have to use a tattoo design. Have a search on google for your favourite characters, or photos. As long as there is an easy outline to follow, you can get stunning results. You can get your photos printed online for as little as 1p, so you can ensure a professional result with no ink bleeding.

All it took was:


  • Wooden Heart (I got mine from The Works)
  • Red Acrylic Paint
  • 1x Photo print (search for your ideal design) 
  • Thick Black Permanent Marker
  • Scalpel
  • Mod Podge


How to make: 


  1. Paint the heart with the red acrylic. It may take a few coats, allow to dry in between coats. (I took the rope out to prevent any sloppiness while working)
  2. While the paint is drying, use the scalpel to carefully cut out the tattoo print. It is best to use a design with fairly thick outlines for ease. 
  3. Once the heart is fully painted, stick the tattoo design onto the heart using mod podge or other PVA glue. 
  4. Using the marker at an approx 45 degree angle, rub over the edge to create a simple outline for your heart. 
  5. Restring the rope if you have removed it for painting- it may be easiest to cut a new edge.
  6. Hang and enjoy! 
For more thrifty tips, crafty ideas and updates,  Follow my blog with Bloglovin or click the follow button on the sidebar!